By Gohar Galyan, 16, Marshall HS

“As I watched a “Frontline” TV show about Tibet recently, I was outraged. For the last half century the Chinese have been suppressing the Tibetans. They have massacred a million Tibetans and closed down 6,000 monasteries. Tibetans are forbidden to practice their religion or leave their country. Yet how many of us know about this? That is why I am writing this article: because too many don’t know.
I found several Tibetans who live in Southern California because I felt that seeing Tibet and its issues through their eyes would seem more real.
Tenzin Wangchuk, 15, is a sophomore at Sunny Hills High School in Fullerton. During basketball practice Tenzin looks like any other member of the team, covered with sweat, practicing “three-man weaves” and other basketball moves. “Ten Cents!” his teammates yell (it’s easier to remember than “Tenzin”). He draws cartoons and writes a column called “My Ten Cents” for the school paper. He also is a member of the water polo team, the class secretary and the French class representative.
“I feel like even though you might not be able to pick me out of a crowd as being different, in myself I feel like a very special person. I am like a rare museum artifact or something,” Tenzin said.
He should feel special. There are few Tibetans in the L.A. area. Tenzin said that he knows only a handful of other Tibetan teens, whom he met at an annual July Fourth picnic attended by West Coast Tibetans.
One of Tenzin’s Tibetan friends, Tash Tuladhar, a 19-year-old college student, said most Americans didn’t know much about Tibet. He joked that he would give ten dollars to any of his friends who knew where Tibet was.
Tenzin joked that when he told people that he was Tibetan they would ask, “What do you do when you go home, meditate?” “Do you float off the ground?” “Why isn’t your head bald?” “Do you chant?”
Said Tash: “When I was a little kid, I’d say I was from Tibet, and they’d say ‘Where is that?’ I’d show them on the map and they’d say, ‘Then you must be Chinese.’ I was shocked because I don’t want to be considered Chinese. I am Tibetan.”
Since the Chinese invaded Tibet in 1959, they have considered the country, which is located in southwestern China along the Himalayan mountains, to be a part of China. After the invasion, Tenzin’s father fled into India and Tash’s grandparents crossed the border illegally into Nepal. Their families later moved to the States, bringing with them a sense of pride in their Tibetan heritage, and sadness about the losses suffered by those who remained behind under Chinese rule. The Chinese forbid Tibetans to practice Buddhism or even to have a picture of their leader, the Dalai Lama.
“It’s been now 45 years. Those adults have not seen Dalai Lama’s picture. The parents are now dying. They cannot teach their children their religion,” said Tenzin’s mom.

The Dalai Lama lives in exile in India
The Dalai Lama is the spiritual and political leader of Tibet. He crossed the Himalayas into India after China occupied Tibet in 1959. He lives in India in exile, along with the rest of the Tibetan government.
The “Frontline” show stated that the Chinese government has modernized Tibetan cities. Tibetan expert Jamyang Norbu, who was interviewed by “Frontline,” said that the Chinese claim they are educating Tibetans—but actually they are teaching them to be ashamed of and ignorant about their culture and religion.
“China has given money and, yeah, there are sidewalks and streets, but there is also torture. I would give up sidewalks and streets to live a life of freedom. Almost like me giving up my nice house, my nice car just to live a life of freedom,” said Tash, who keeps a picture of the Dalai Lama and a set of prayer beads in his car.
Many Tibetan women must follow China’s one-child policy. According to the September issue of Marie Claire, thousands of women are being forced to have abortions in unsafe and unsanitary conditions. (China has a one-child policy.)
Considering how much the Tibetans have suffered under the Chinese, I was surprised by Tenzin’s answer when I asked him if he hated the Chinese.
“No. In my culture you are not supposed to hate people.”
“His Holiness [the Dalai Lama] is not looking into going to war. His Holiness wants a peaceful movement and to get the word out,” said Tash.
Compassion seems to be an important part of Tibetan Buddhism. When I went to do this interview I didn’t know anything about the Tibetan religion, but I learned a great deal. One of the principles of Tibetan Buddhism is “mindfulness.” It could be described as being conscious of how your actions affect things. They could be little things—like not stepping on a bug. For example, Tenzin had to think hard before joining the basketball team. He asked himself whether it would conflict with his schoolwork.
There is a concept of Tibetan Buddhism that I have trouble understanding. It is that you should be content with what you have, that you should strive for inner peace. Tenzin’s dad said most Americans don’t think that way: “We [Americans] have not developed the notion of inner contentment. We clearly want more. If I have one car, I want another. If I have three, I want four.”
But if you have inner contentment, why would you strive to better yourself or help those around you? I wanted to know.
Tenzin’s mom said I should think of a river. The river is content with what it is. Yet it continues to flow; it is a home to birds and many other creatures; people swim, fish and boat there. Its contentment does not keep it from moving or being of service to others.
Tenzin, who dreams of going to Stanford or Harvard and majoring perhaps in medicine or literature, said that he won’t be content until he does something for his people. Tenzin said he felt lucky to be able to study in America. But he would go back to Tibet if he could. (From the background his mom added, “If Tibet was free”).
One thing that surprised me was how far China was willing to go to make sure that foreigners don’t get to find out the truth about Tibet. China tried to stop the distribution of “Kundun,” the latest movie about the Dalai Lama directed by Martin Scorsese, by threatening to prevent Disney from expanding its commercial operations in China. The names of about 50 people involved with the film, as well as “Seven Years in Tibet,” have been banned from ever entering China.
“We are resolutely opposed to the making of this movie [“Kundun”],” said Kong Min, an official at the Film Bureau of the Ministry of Radio Film and Television in a statement released to the press. “It is intended to glorify the Dalai Lama, so it is an interference in China’s internal affairs.”

Hollywood will hesitate to criticize China
Despite this pressure, the film was released in December, but some entertainment executives predict that Hollywood will be cautious about any future movies that are critical of Chinese policies.
“Kundun” and “Seven Years in Tibet” have gotten people talking about Tibet, although not necessarily teens. Tash said, “There is so much more talk on Tibet now. Who knew ten years ago that Tibet was invaded in the 50’s?… Thank God for the movies coming out. My friends think Tibet is an adult issue, so they’re not going to see ‘Seven Years in Tibet.’ ”
The films also may not give much information about Tibet itself. Tenzin’s dad joked that “Seven Years in Tibet” was more like “Seven Days in Tibet.”
“I got disgusted. It’s like a Brad Pitt promotion. Where is the story of Tibetan culture?” was Tenzin’s response.
A lot of youth have heard about Tibet because of the Tibetan Freedom concerts held in 1996 and 1997, which benefited the Milarepa organization. Artists such as the Smashing Pumpkins, Beastie Boys, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sonic Youth, Foo Fighters and Beck were among many who performed (see related article on their newly released CD).
I know we can fix it
and we’re not too late.
I give respect to King and his non-violent ways.
I dream and I hope and I won’t forget
Someday I’m gonna visit on a Free Tibet
Someday I’m gonna see us all joined as one.
And it’d be too bad to blow it up
before we’re done
‘Cause we long behind the rage
learning from the pain.
The love behind the tension
like the sun behind the rain.
—Beastie Boys

What’s ahead for Tibet
Many say that in the last few years things have improved in Tibet. But a lot more still needs to change. You can help by attending peaceful demonstrations and helping the word get out. You can also help by joining L.A. Friends of Tibet. The president of L.A. Friends of Tibet is Tash’s aunt, who helped LA Youth get in contact with Tash and Tenzin and his family. There are annual demonstrations in March in front of the Federal Building.
I knew when I was writing this article that some LA Youth readers wouldn’t even care to skim through it. But I was hoping that the other half would benefit from reading it. What’s happening in Tibet could be compared to what happened to the Armenians in 1915 or to the Jews during WWII. We shouldn’t let another culture get wiped out because of our ignorance. And if we don’t do anything now, 30 years from now, another brutual leader is going to say, “Look what happened to the Tibetans and no one cared. If we lead another Holocaust, no one else is going to care.”
I know that if I reach one of you, than my article was a success.”