By Randy Wells, 17, Washington Prep HS

“I recommend that you tune into “The Steve Harvey Show” at 8:30 p.m. Sundays on Channel 5 (WB Network). This show has some problems, but it’s worth a look.
I admit, it’s funny. But as a student of Washington Prep, I say if they’re going to do a show based on an inner-city school, they shouldn’t sugarcoat their message.
The school on this show has clean hallways, new lockers, only 15 people in a classroom, and teachers that all care. Something’s wrong, right? Where are the papers on the ground? Where is the cracked paint? Where are the classes with 30 to 40 students? Where are the teachers who stay home because they feel like it?
The WB Network set me up to interview some of the actors on the show. They were pretty cool. Merlin Santana, plays Romeo, a smooth-talking ladies man; Tracy Vilar plays the fiesty girlfriend Sophia Ortiz; and Netfa Perry plays Sara, an outspoken, know-it-all student. Did you know that these stars are all from New York, lived within 20 miles of each other and never met until they were cast for the show?
Merlin Santana, 21, began his career at the age of the three in a fast food ad. He was going to acting class, and his mom got tired of taking him. “I went by myself and that’s when doors started opening up.” He has been a guest star on “Moesha” and “Hangin’ with Mr. Cooper.”
Tracy Vilar, 22, began her acting career interning at Spike Lee’s production company and ended up in four of his movies. She has also been in “Sunset Park,” “Joe’s Apartment” and the upcoming “Gridlock.” Netfa Perry, 22, danced with the Joffrey Ballet School and Alvin Ailey.”